Translate

Monday, July 23, 2012

A taste of island life

What do you do in a third world dive resort town on a holiday? Sleep in, eat, drink & dive. That pretty much summarizes every day since and hence here. We woke up a bit earlier, since our first dive was scheduled for 8:30 in the morning. Grabbed a bit of a brekkie next door, typical American breakfast, bacon, eggs, toast, OJ and coffee. Kris hasn't learned yet that you do not shower before diving because you're apt to get all salty and you have to shower afterwards yet. But, whatever makes the chipmunk face happy. We nipped out to the boat right before 8:30 and headed out for our first dive of the day.

Merman extreme in action: courtesy of Stephan from Germany
Water... salt water. In my next life I'd like to be a fish, preferrably a big ass mo-fo like a tiger shark or perhaps a peace loving humpback. You're submerged in the deep blue, sometimes a bit sedimented but always surrounded with some moving, colorful things. Fish, nudibranches, corals, sponges, sea turtles. If you're luck a shark. If you're very lucky a whale. I've been helping out John with a rescue diver course with two students, Stephan and Nina, a nice German couple. I played a victim today, panicked diver, drowning victim and such. Oh, such fun. So far, I've been a nice boy, but I think once their rescue scenarios roll around on day four, I'm going to let it loose and go a bit crazy. I mean, a Rescue Diver is a serious stuff. I went through it myself, and have to say it was the toughest yet most rewarding diving course ever.

I nipped out to bring some quick lunch to the missus from Sabang Fast Food. This place never misses a beat. Even a cheap stir fry is good. And it was off to dive again for me and some more studying for Krysia. Bit of drift diving this time. Lots of small stuff, though noting pelagic. Oh well, maybe later in Tawau (if we actually get there) or Bali.

The day ended pretty much as the previous one: some drinks at home, studying, updating the blog in a bar while drinking beer. I suppose these entries are getting a bit redundant, but gotto keep on blogging. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment