Translate

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Splashing around

One thing to say about Aussies: they do run an informal shop. Our dive leader, Krysia's instructor, John Barratt, just gave us the keys to the place yesterday, asked for nothing and mentioned that we start diving at 10:30. We reminded him about the B&B deal that apparently he struck with us and he promptly went to a nearby restaurant to set somethig up. All right. That kind of informality works with me quite well.
The little mermaid in her watery haven
We woke up after a good night's sleep and proceeded to have a nice American breakfast. Then it was time to dive. It's been two years for me: since the beginning of my diving adventure, my diving has been few and far between. So this honeymoon I'll take every opportunity I get to get wet. Kris was given an OWD coursebook and a DVD to study and I headed out for the blue (or not so blue waters). Who cares! The moment I got on the boat, my heart rate dropped by half, all my worries went away and my stress level dropped to zero. I'm diving again. Blessed be the sea, the underwater creatures, the fish I'm not going to eat and all the wetness around. Diving is my meditation, it is my zen, my relaxation, my raison d'etre. Getting to our divesite was exciting enough, but getting in the water was the key to achieve my inner peace. Moray eels, small stuff, coral, big fish, small fish. I'm just happy to be underwater.
While I was gone, the missus was trying to absorb the knowledge from the video and book which I think she was getting a bit tired of. So she welcomed a short relaxation break, after which we headed out together on my second dive and her first. We did a beach entry since Krysia was doing some confined water skills and couldn't go deep yet, after which we proceeded on a fun dive down to about 12 meters. Visibility was rather poor, due to proximity of the shore and a lot of sediment and the reef was pretty much dead or dying. Nonetheless the missus enjoyed her first open water dive (not counting the handholding dive she did in Turkey) immensly and therefore so did I. It seems I found a partner for my diving adventures who's as enthusiastic about it as I am.
A good place with a good curry is always a winner!
It's funny how little it takes to keep me happy. Diving makes you hungry so we had to eat. We went back to Sabang Fast Food, which has little to do with fast food but turned out a winner yesterday. Our curries today were excellent too. Then a short stop at Eddie's for some internet since our Wi-Fi is absolutely pathetic and off to early sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment