Translate

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Negative karma, take 2

Morning view from our "Penthouse"
Woke up at around six to the sound of waves and wind rustling the palm leaves, our last night on Oriental Mindoro gone in a flash. Nights were restful here for me, going to sleep reasonably early as diving takes a lot out of a man. Nightlife here revolves much around “siree, me love you long time” or “cheap massagee siree”, the first one not appropriate for a honeymoon couple, the second one a bit too dodgy for the missus. Myself, I really need to be in the mood for a massage, otherwise I just find it a bit annoying. Got in a bit online action on the terrace before heading out to check out departure times for the boats and some breakfast.
On the pier they clearly said: one boat at 9:30, one at 10:30, then at 11:30 and 1 PM. Armed with that knowledge, I grabbed a couple pan de coco and some other red-stuff filled breakfast rolls and two nescafes and headed back to pack. One thing was theoretically set, so now time to pack, pay our bills and leave. I had a problem with booking a hotel for tonight yesterday. John called it up for us, but the bastards were suddenly quoting a higher price, apparently the regular rooms all rented out. Fortunately there is a Tune Hotel in Angeles, right next to the airport, and Expedia had a good deal so there: done. Not that I'm such a fan of Tunes but for our last night, we just wanted to be somewhere convenient. After paying Jemma, we said our farewells to John and Dive VIP and went to the pier... just to find out that our 10:30 boat was canceled and the next one was an hour later. I clearly remember they didn't say anything about it, even had a schedule from them with the 10:30 boat circled, but apparently it was canceled a few minutes after I'd come. Right... seriously, getting any decent, honest and correct information out of a Filipino is like convincing a whale not to be big. With an hour and a half to kill it was second breakfast time at our favorite place in Sabang. Wi-Fi'ing, eating Pinoy breakfast and drinking coffee was a perfect way to kill the unnecessary time. At 11:30 we finally said goodbye to Oriental Mindoro.

Boat ride was sleepy, although a bit wet at times. The crew went to a lot of effort to pull down the shades and foil covers mostly around the two of us, yet we ended up being the only people on the boat soaked on a big wave. After our previous experience with runners, scammers, hustlers, cheats and other types of predatory scumbags we decided that the only answer to any inquiry to where we're going, do we need help with our luggage, a taxi or anything else in the vicinity of help would be either “no” or “fuck off”. Usually “no” worked well enough fortunately, followed by an evil stare if needed. Perhaps because we're darker now and look a bit wiser the scumbags knew better not to hassle us too much. We jumped on a bus heading to Cubao (not having a bloody idea where it is) in hope that it would drop us off close to Clark airport and Angeles. The driver claimed it would, but after dealing with “helpful people” around here, we could never be certain of anything.

Four hours later, I'm sitting reasonably close to my destination in a Jollybee fast food restaurant, trying to figure out why oh why did I break my promise to myself to never trust a Filipino again. I checked our transfer to our hotel near Clark airport. Boat to Batangas, then any bus to Buendia bus terminal in Manila then a bus to Angeles and we're set. Of course with all the bother with the luggage and all when a chance came up to go to Angeles from Batangas directly we, or rather I, jumped on it immediately. The driver assured and reassured me that it would stop at Angeles. So here it is, in no plainer words:

DON'T TRUST A FILIPINO!

The bus never got to Angeles. Cubao turned out to be just a suburb of Manila at which the bus stopped its run. Next we had to hop on to a bus going to Dau, near Angeles, for there were no buses going to Angeles. And that's where we are stuck now. I'm once again getting into the state that the next person that talks to me will get his fucking face bashed in and brains will be plopping up and down on the street. The swindling, lying, cheating, hustling little fuckers will do anything to get your money out of you, including give you wrong information that you for example use their bus. And what makes me just a little bit more upset, now we're stuck in an area surrounded by a gang trikes, and any taxi that stops and I attempt to talk to is immediately surrounded by them saying something and trying to “negotiate” the price for me. Of course negotiating it up, how else could it be? And there is a distinct feeling that their trying to intimidate the taxi driver. Here is how it's gonna work out: I'm NOT putting Krysia in a trike by herself and half our luggage. It's simply about safety, not about money and she's not that happy about getting into a trike by herself anyways.

The amount of misinformation you get from these people is incredible. No one is willing to help, they plainly try to rip you off, even try to renegotiate the price after the fact, play stupid when you ask them the simplest question... It's sad... it's really, sad. I come to realization: I WANT to trust people when I travel, but many a time I can't. I do make friends easily, I strike up conversations easily, I enjoy sharing views, beers or even rooms with people. I am the first one in a group to take in a local meal and to chat up a local. But Philippines, like Egypt beforehand, has scarred me severely. Not to discount a whole nation: there are plenty of fantastic people around (some of them married into my family), but on a random chance, you are more likely to run into a scumbag on a street than a nice person.

Finally fed up, after running up and down a street like headless chickens, we took a jeepney to Angeles City. We actually found one, a public one, meaning not the 600 or 700 pesos they were asking but... 10. And off we went, stuck like sardines in a can once again, with our oversized luggage, a guy with rapidly cooling pizzas, a screaming baby, and a couple incredibly interested in the sound of our Polish conversation (I get to practice my Polish quite a bit here when I don't want Filipinos to understand what I'm saying). We dropped off somewhere and... nothing. We're nowhere near our hotel. And what made it more frustrating, no one, absolutely no one knew where the fuck we were. People said: “Go that way”, “No, go that way”, “You're here”, “No, you're here”. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for what I'm about to do (i.e. insult the entire nation), but does any Filipino know their own asshole from a hole in the ground? I mean seriously, I ask three or four people on for the address of their store, and none of them knows! I was about to explode, so I suggested going into an internet cafe to try to find our location. Here is where the story finally takes a turn for the better.

A lady came into the cafe, looking for two lost foreigners (that was us by the way!). Carmen, that was her name, heard from her husband (who we earlier asked for directions) that we were somewhat lost and wanted to help out. And indeed, she helped us find our location on Google maps, then helped us grab a private jeepney and negotiate a “reasonably” good price and then even went with her husband on a scooter to make sure we got to our hotel safely. Bloody hell! Carmen my dear, thank you for saving the shreds of Filipino dignity. As I stated above, I like people and I want to trust them, but this country makes this damn difficult. But you came just in the nick of time, before I suggested carpet nuclear bombing the entire nation. When we finally saw the neon signs of Tune Hotel, we almost screamed in joy. Krysia wanted her address to send her some gift or a postcard, but I'll let handle that. At this point I was simply glad to be at our hotel. We checked in, I nipped out to 7-Eleven for two 1 liter strong beers and some express Hot Rice meals and into the sleepy void I go.

P.S. I saw a billboard today in Manilla that said "If you hate it RANT, if you love if RAVE". This is one of the rant ones. I just wander what Stefan and Nina who are travelling in similar conditions through the same country are thinking right now? Really guys, I'm not as big of a hostile, negative whiner as this post comes out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment