Translate

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Through the commi land

Being woken up at 5:30 in the morning while you were expecting to sleep until 7 is not a problem when the reason is your honeymoon. Thank goodness for almond croissants and black coffee. After repacking into my backpack the missis was ready to hit the road.

The Honeymooners
"I think I'm ready for another adventure" said Bilbo Baggins at the end of LOTR. For me it's rather "I have an itch I can't scratch and I wanna go somewhere NOW" kind of feeling.

A short ride to the airport, saying goodbye to the in-laws and we got on board our first ever Aeroflot flight. Imagine that with over 1 million miles flown, I'd never had the pleasure of flying the hammer and the sickle airline.

Aeroflot snack
First impressions of Aeroflot? The check-in girl was moody and the stewardesses looked like they had mops stuck up their asses. No one looks like they're enjoying working for Putin. Oh well: who cares about first impressions. At least they served a snack on a two hour flight. That's an exception these days. Coffee sponge cake, no so bad at all.

Krysia blogging... minus the computer
A two hour jump and we're at our destination. What can you say about Sheremetyevo Airport? How about: "Is there a duty free store around here?" Three terminals and about fifty duty free stores plus a dozen or so souvenir stores counted. Bloody shopping mall for tourists. Can't complain though. Am about to pick up a bottle or two of cheap booze that will get us through those first couple jet-lagged nights in Japan. It is true what they say about Moscow though: it is the most expensive city in the world for ex-pats. Forget the fancy Sobranie cigarettes (gotto pick me up a box on the way back) and the diamonds, Cartier and Gucci. But $20 for a pitcher of watered down piss that reminds me of Pabst Blue Ribbon back home (or Coors Light for those not from around the Northwest) seems a bit of a bargain, doesn't it?

Ok, time to pass the laptop to my lovely wife and to sink into the brain-enema in my glass. In less than three hours, we're boarding to Tokyo. On another Aeroflot flight. Yuppi!

No comments:

Post a Comment