Translate

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nostalgic for Mr. Roboto


Last day greeted with me with nostalgia for a country as yet undeparted. I shall miss Japan as I did last time I left it. I shall miss the politeness, the sexy legs, the food (something the missus sure won't), the weirdness, the efficiency, the public transport, the social aspect of being a gaijin, the vending machines. I'll just miss most of it.

We slept in a bit, and after packing decided to take it easy the last day in the Land of the Rising Sun. Off to Osaka Castle for some sightseeing, grab some food, find a post office, do some souvenir shopping.

Pumpkins
Osaka-jo was nice, albeit a bit... samey. After Inuyama Castle, Kyoto Jo and Hiroshima, the architecture gets a bit old. You recognized the steep roofs, the angry fish-dolphin motives, the steep stairs. But the view was worth climbing up to the 8th floor. Ladies at the counter were actually useful this time and pointed us towards a post office nearby and a food street where my target munchies could be located.

Finally getting rid of the post cards which we'd carried since Kyoto was a load of my chest. Not to be picky, but overpaying for stupid postcards and stamps and then not sending them out would seem such a waste. A quick ride to Namba on the subway and we found ourselves looking for a way to spend our last monies: food and trinkets would fit the bill nicely. The first one was easily accomplished: we found an okonomiyaki place off the main drag and managed to have some delish Japanese omelet. I remembering ordering ika and getting tako instead. Good change, although it was a surprise to find octopus in a squid dish. Kris went for... pork. What else? Actually two slices of bacon fit the bill quite nicely, not for the bonito shavings which screwed up her experience a bit. I just don't get it though. She does love smoked salmon, so what's wrong with smoked and dried bonito? I did scrape it off her omelet and she managed to finish it mostly.

Having finished eating, it was time to find some souvenirs. I hate them myself. I have tons of useless knick knacks and trinkets from my travels that collect dust somewhere on a shelf long unseen, or perhaps are packed tightly in a box in my dad's walk-in closet in Seattle. I like pragmatic things like... booze and pens, and electronics, and coffee. Not snowglobes, hanging things and cute things. I wanted to buy a yukatta in Kyoto but just missed the store on our last day. Pity cause it'd come in useful for costume parties. But we had some money leftover that we'd exchanged yesterday and we had to spend it. At the difficulty with spending money in Japan was the first true surprise of this honeymoon. In one of the most expensive countries on Earth we could not find a decent souvenir store. Something with nice Japanese stuff of course. After buying a couple hand-made postcards a decision was made to go back to the hotel, take our luggage and go to the airport and try our luck there.

Armed with our bags, we headed towards Namba and Kansai International. The ride was long but uneventful. And Osaka Kansai International Airport was the cure for our unspent money. Great souvenir stores, food and drink, even one with yukattas (albeit at prices out of a normal beings ranged). We bid adieu to Japan for one last time as the plane took off to the rainy Manila.

No comments:

Post a Comment